<VV> Engine assembly questions

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Aug 11 16:12:08 EDT 2012

original Message: 9
From: Karl Haakonsen <cityhawk at pobox.com>
Subject: <VV> Engine assembly questions

Hi all, I am finally putting together my engine. I have a few questions....
1) Is there a sealant I should use between the two crankcase halves?

2) How the #$%^ does one find the timing mark on the crankshaft gear? I
can't see anything on the gear on account of the flange that obscures it.

Karl in Boston
www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog

The 1965 factory manual says dry, with some undefined sealer at the ends of the parting faces.

before cleaning for final assembly I'd deburr the sharp edges, avoiding the few sealing edges, and very gently use a large, fine flat file to ease down knicks and high spots

Dan T