<VV> Gilmore Museum in Kalamazoo

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Wed Aug 15 08:30:20 EDT 2012

On Aug 15, 2012, at 2:28 AM, sethracer at aol.com wrote:

> Next year, the Corsa Convention arrives at Kalamazoo, MI. One of the
> big
> attractions will be the chance to visit the Gilmore Car Museum. I'm
> sure the
> Convention folks will have something scheduled, since it is such an
> attractive  venue. But for a short description, including a link for
> more info,
> check out  this short article from Autoweek. See you in Kalamazoo
> next summer.
> - Seth  Emerson
>
> _http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120813/CARNEWS/120819932?utm_source=Daily
> Drive20120814&utm_medium=enews
> letter&utm_term=missedarticle7&utm_content=20120813-Gilmore-Car-
> Museum-surprises&utm_campaign=awdailydrive_
> (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120813/CARNEWS/120819932?utm_source=DailyDrive20120814&
> utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=missedarticle7&utm_content=20120813-
> Gilmore-
> Car-Museum-surprises&utm_campaign=awdailydrive)

The Gilmore Museum is a great place. I was there last year for the
first time and was very impressed. They have several rare cars
including a '47 DeSoto Suburban, a Tucker and a '46 Stout Scarab. The
Corvair that is in their collection wasn't on display when I was
there. The museum is actually in Hickory Corners, a few miles from
Kalamazoo. It is out in the country and has plenty of room for parking
and expansion.

The Gilmores had a department store in downtown Kalamazoo and a car
dealership or dealerships. Then, there was a marriage into the Upjohn
family that brought further wealth. Upjohn was a major employer in the
area and is now a Pfizer facility.

There should be plenty of interesting countryside around the area for
a rally although it is pretty flat. It will be interesting to see
where the host hotel and other venues will be. The excellent Auburn
Cord Duesenberg museum is about two hours away, south southeast, just
off I-69 and shouldn't be missed.

Perhaps there will be a drag race at nearby Martin US 131 Dragstrip!

Read more about Jim Gilmore: http://www.mmshof.org/inductees/Gilmore_Jim.html

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Membership Chair,