<VV> correct generator fan?

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Thu Aug 16 22:46:40 EDT 2012

Question: How can you tell if you have the correct generator fan?  The car is a '60.  For some strange reason tonight I decided to check the serial number on the metal tag.  It turned out to be a '62 or '63 generator.  No biggy. Then I decided to check the fan to see if it was correct.  It didn't match any of the images in the shop manual.  And nothing in the "tech" guide about it.  Now i'm wondering.

   When looking down at the gen/fan,  the blades look like they would push down on the air as it spins.  Since, as I read, the Corvair gen fan is designed to pull the air through the gen, is this correct?   It seems like  they should be turned the opposite way, so as to "cup"  the air in order to pull it through.   Inquiring minds want to know.

Randy(Cap'n) Hook

'63 ragtop 110/pg

'60 700 4dr 80/soon-to-be 4spd.