<VV> Display Awards

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sun Aug 19 08:51:55 EDT 2012

I had been determined to not become involved in this thread because I know, first hand, about the cost of handsome trophies and I know that a $10 entry fee is not going to allow for much in the area of awards.  Then Mr. Howell mentioned the Detroit Convention of which I was the creator of the 'CORE GROUP' that put our Convention together in record time.  The Detroit Area Corvair Club [DACC] is all about respecting EVERYONE that has interest in the Corvair hobby … Thank you, Mr Howell, for noticing.  Those of you that have graced our Homecoming event with your presence over the past 33 years will know we are serious about having a great time.

If you have a Corvair, any Corvair in any condition, or are just interested in or wishing to learn about Corvairs, you are welcome to participate in the DACC Homecoming.  In the long ago past when the average Corvair was somebody's daily driver, the DACC offered a SALT II Class to give a placed for even severely weather damaged Corvairs.

I suppose there are not many left that remember when CORSA was all about Concours cars … there was no place for 'in daily use' Corvairs at all.  In those days the DACC had more participants than the National Conventions!  In those days the CORSA folks were complaining that, one, there was not enough participation and, two, nobody had any suggestions to increase participation.  Probably nobody reading this is aware that I wrote many letters with suggestions primarily concerning the addition of a 'user' cars class.  CORSA did not even acknowledge these suggestions had been made until I sent REGISTERED letters to each and every CORSA board member. The next year they 'somehow' decided to have a user vehicle 'car display.'  Today CORSA is STILL all about their Concours [that is a good thing] but they have less than high regards for the lowly 'Car Display.'  Fortunately for their Conventions, the local club(s) involved every year make up, as best they can, for CORSA's shortcomings.  Best I can tell from the comments I have heard this year's convention was great … but, unfortunately, there is no way to please 100% for 100% of the time.

Commercial break time:  It is still not too late to come the the 34th DACC Homecoming this year!  Register now [best for us] or just show up … we will have a place for you :-)  Homecoming starts next Thursday, August 23rd and runs through the 25th and maybe a picnic on the 26th.  Find us at www.detroitcorvairs.com and click on the Homecoming icon.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.