<VV> brake noise update

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 15:48:30 EDT 2012

Hiya folks.  It was a great pleasure to meet some of you at Sturbridge!

I've been too busy to keep up with my email the past couple weeks so I
didn't get to read all the replies to my brake question until just now.
 Thank you to all who replied!

Now for an update;  I've been driving the 63 coupe myself the past few days
so I could hear the noises for myself.

What I get is a loud squealing/sqeaking noise every time (NOT intermittent)
I hit the brakes when backing up.  I sometimes get a tiny bit of the same
noise when braking going forward, but it is almost nothing.  I've found
that if I back up and use the parking brake to stop the car rather than the
pedal I get very little noise, as opposed to very loud noise with the pedal.
*  Interesting note, if I use the parking brake to stop the car when
backing up I get very little noise, almost nothing.*

I walked alongside the car and had Missy back up and brake and determined
that the noise was coming from both sides.

This car has been a daily driver for over two years now.  The noise
appeared after I installed new rear shoes, swapped on a different set of
mag wheels, and adjusted the brakes by repeatedly backing up and braking.

I think* this might be the key*.  I've never adjusted the brakes
intentionally this way before... always adjusted the star wheel, put the
drum on, spin it by hand, remove, and repeat until I was satisfied.  That
is a pain so this time I decided to let the automatic adjusters do the job.

I never heard any noise the day I did the job, including when I adjusted
the brakes by repeated backing and braking.  The noise started probably the
next day when Missy drove it.

I think the parking brake system might be the culprit but the adjuster is
rusted to where I don't think it will ever turn without breaking.  The
parking brake handle feels about right.

Thanks again guys,
--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III