<VV> 140 engine on a regular PG transmission

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Aug 22 18:13:27 EDT 2012

The valve body, transfer plate as well as the governor are different on
the PowerGlides used with the 140 hp engines.    The internal oil
pressures are the same on all 1964-9 PowerGlides.  The PG 140s have
higher shift points because the springs in the valve body are stronger
and one valve body piston is slightly larger.  This along with the
different governor allows for higher rpm part throttle shifts, higher
rpm forced downshifts and full throttle shifts of 5,200 rpm.  The
maximum torque is the is almost the same (within 4 ftlbs) for the 95,
110, and 140 engines.  It is torque that makes the clutches slip; not HP.

The PG governors have four centrifugal weights.  Two primary and two
secondary..  The primary weights are full out at 800 rpm (governor
speed) and control the low rpm shift point.  The governor is driven by
the rear wheels.  The secondary weights work against the internal
pressure of the valve body (controlled by the TV lever and engine
vacuum) to determine the up shift point. There are other springs and
valves in play but these are the major players.    All the above
information is found in Bob Ballew's booklet on PowerGlide transmissions.
Jim Davis