<VV> Bad Corvair (update)

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Aug 25 15:56:01 EDT 2012

Smitty Says;  I spent the afternoon yesterday with the distributor, using
the "thoughtful and simple" approach of trouble shooting with an ohm meter
and a 12 volt power supply, checking for continuity of grounds, pigtails
etc.  Initially I was careful to not take anything apart until I had
established that part was working properly.  But eventually I had to concede
that I was getting nowhere.  But I also had to concede that if it were
reinstalled as it was that it would come back to haunt me.  SO this morning,
I put a new bushing in the housing.  Verified one more time the ground strap
on the points plate was doing its job.  Checked for freedom of movement of
the advance plate.  Rechecked the points ground.  Tested the condenser one
more time.  Made a new pigtail for it.  And when possible it will go back in
the car for testing.  This means of course, if it works as advertised I will
never know exactly what was wrong.  I can live with that.  I have earned the
break.  If it does not pass the functional test you will be hearing about
it.