<VV> Was Sedans .... Now; First Corvair Experience

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 15:20:49 EST 2012

As far as a car I may have driven in my youth, my first  experience driving
a car (legally) and my first experience with a Corvair were  one and the
same.  No, it wasn't a sedan/four door.  My father sent me  to driving school
when I got my learner's permit.  He said it was because  the car insurance
would be cheaper but I suspected that he knew we would have a  problem if he
was my teacher.  One authoritarian butt head teaching another  rebellious
butt head to drive is the perfect formula for conflict.

Because I had dreams of a muscle car in my future, I insisted  on learning
to drive a manual transmission.  The only car the driving  school had with a
stick was an old, dilapidated and dented Monza 2 door they  borrowed
somewhere.  I remember scaring the poop out of the instructor  several times.  No,
I didn't add any dents.

I remember an overall good impression of the car but I didn't  own my first
Corvair until about 10 years ago.  Of course, I became hooked  and now have
a collection.  The '66 Corsa was my first.  I am out  of room now, so I
don't know if I will ever add a sedan/four door to my  collection.  The closest
I came to buying a four door was a 1961 Lincoln  Continental four door
convertible.  This was the year and model car JFK was  in when he was
assassinated.  See, you can buy both a four door and a ragtop at the same time.
Lincoln made these cars for  a number of years and they are highly collectible.
However, unless  you enjoy tinkering constantly, you don't want one.  They
were and possibly  still are the most complicated (most parts) car made.
They had many old  technology relays, trigger switches and electric motors to
automatically lower  windows, open and close the trunk lid backwards and fold
the top into the  trunk.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 12/3/2012 9:00:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

Message:  1