<VV> Sedans

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 18:32:24 EST 2012

                                                                  B"H
Guy:
My take on the issue is that by 1962 Chevy realized that the most potential for Corvair sales was in promoting it as an enthusiast's car rather than an economy compact.  That's why the wagons were discontinued in '62 and the vans/trucks followed by '65.  And in came the convertible, the turbo, and the hardtops.
At least with the Late models, "sedan" production was way less than coupe production. Actually, the LM "sedan" was really a hardtop (or "hardtop sedan") and at the time, I think compact car buyers looking for four doors went for the Nova.  Back in the 1960s, "four doors" meant utility and "coupe" meant sport.
On top of low production, most of the 4 door hardtops went via the junkyard.  Enthusiasts did save a high number of coupes and of course even more convertibles.  500s were also not saved in great numbers, after all, "sporty" meant "chrome."
Being the happy owner of a 66 Monza Sport Sedan with factory A/C and Powerglide, I'd agree that the Late Sport Sedans were "little limousines."  The color coordinated interiors, sparkling chrome accents, along the convenience of four doors, makes these models very desireable to collect and practical to drive, despite what any classic car value book says.I've been following Corvairs for sale on ebay as a hobby, and you're right, only rarely do 4 doors come up for sale.  Far more convertibles are out there.
I wonder whether some day the 4 doors will increase in value?  Look what happened to the '67 Impala four door hardtop!  Once the TV show "Supernatural" become popular, prices of the Sport Sedan of that model skyrocketed, so that those cars are now worth more than the Sport Coupes, and even convertibles!....Bill Hershkowitz