<VV> Sport Sedans (4 door hardtops)

Carl Kelsen Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 4 04:56:35 EST 2012

Hi everyone, (from down under)

I did enjoy and agree totally with Bill Hershkowitz's comments concerning four door pillarless hardtops (Sport Sedans).

For many years I have believed that I would see the day come when 4 door hardtops would become serious collector cars and that correctly restored examples would stand out in the endless rows of restored coupes and convertibles that we see at old car events in the USA and also in my country Australia.

Consider also the following facts about 'Sport Sedans'

1/ Chevrolet offered a four door pillarless hardtop in the Corvair for just 3 years. 1965 - 1967
2/ Chevrolet offered a four door pillarless hardtop in it full size models for just 20 years. 1956 - 1976
3/ Outside the USA Japan built a few 4 door hardtops in the late 1970s for about 2-3 years but they were of very limited production.
4/ Mercedes Benz built only one four door hardtop the 300D in the late 1950s / early 1960s.
5/ No other countries ever built 4 door hardtops but 2 door hardtops were built every where (including Australia!).
6/ A seriously pillarless car is in the end a four door hardtop. Many 2 door hardtops have very small rear quarter windows.
7/ The 1965-67 Chevrolet Corvair Sport Sedan must be the worlds smallest 4 door hardtop as generally 4 door hardtops were only offered in larger models.

In Australia I own a ground up restored to better than brand new Export RHD 1962 Chevrolet Impala Sport Sedan (4 door hardtop). This car often attracts attention from people who claim to have never seen one.

Apart form my love of the Chevrolet Corvair I also really like 1963-64 Dodge or Plymouth 4 door hardtops but you rarely see them. 1963-64 Dodge or Plymouth 2 door hardtops are thin on the ground but 4 door hardtops seem to only be found in advertising material!

Yes, hold on to those 1965-67 Chevrolet Corvair Sport Sedans because I think they will like other 4 door hardtops become favoured collector cars.

Regards
Carl L. Kelsen
Australia
CORSA member and proud of it!
1962 RHD Chevrolet Impala Sport Sedan
1965 RHD Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertible
1983 RHD Cadillac Eldorado BIarritz
2002 RHD Rover Connessiour 75 S.E. sedan

Bill Hershkowitz commented:
"I wonder whether some day the 4 doors will increase in value? ?Look what happened to the '67 Impala four door hardtop! ?Once the TV show "Supernatural" become popular, prices of the Sport Sedan of that model skyrocketed, so that those cars are now worth more than the Sport Coupes, and even convertibles!"