<VV> Late 4-doors

Karl Haakonsen (cityhawk@pobox.com) karlhaakonsen at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 20:56:08 EST 2012

I usually don't get involved in these navel-contemplation arguments, but I had to chime in with my $0.02.

To compare the "generally accepted" adage that "Nader killed the Corvair" to our argument is not really accurate since that particular adage, generally-accepted or not, is just wrong. The sedan/coupe/hardtop etc argument is more subtle than that.

Back in the days when my Ford Model A was made, a coupe meant something very specific and that type of car does not exist today. There were two door ("Tudor") and four door ("Fordor") sedans which were clearly different than coupes, roadsters and phaetons. The sedan body type was a unique style that had either two or four doors.

In the year 2012, the term sedan generally refers to a car with four doors and a trunk. There are some modifications to it such as the term "sport sedan." A coupe generally refers to a car that has two doors (though not always, as was the case with some Saturn three and four door coupes, the latter being referred to as a "quad" coupe ), but has a more stylized, "sporty" appearance.

In the 1960s there were more shades in between, and there were actually still some two door sedans (cars with two doors that had the same style as the four door sedans, but only had two doors) and the complication of the various designations of the b-pillar-less hardtops, both two and four doors.

However, since the term hard-top is not widely understood today, but sedan vs. coupe is, I tend to be like John Roberts and use the terms coupe and sedan. It's simpler. If the LM Corvair were available in a pillared sedan, two door sedan, a 60's definition of coupe etc, the other designations might be necessary to tell them apart, but since there was only one two-door body style and one four-door body style, coupe and sedan work fine for me to tell them apart.

Karl in Boston