<VV> Whatzit: 64 Corvair Military Corvan Truck Under body Shield?

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 10:33:21 EST 2012

Ah, there it is. The seller says:

Up for auction / Sale is a Rare Corvair Rampside Military Under body Shroud (Perfect Condition)- Folks this was removed from a DOD US NAVY 1964 Corvair Corvan 110 4 speed -The truck that the shield came off of was a 64 Corvan 110 4 speed. Apparently it was ordered for the Navy. The shield attached directly behind the  normal 64-5 front underbody shield, with the "U" cutout facing forward  and attaching at the same place as the rear of the front shield. A very rare Bird Indeed.

A rare "shroud" -- as rare as the Shroud of Turin? Why was it needed? What purpose does it serve, especially for a Navy van, which probably seldom if ever got off pavement -- unless it was used at some remote Naval or Marine Corps air station.

And, what happened to the van itself? A 110 and a 4-speed, the guy says. Why not a 95?

Ten or 12 years ago, maybe more, I saw an ex-military Corvan for sale on eBay. It was in Baltimore. It supposedly was used by maintenance people at the Pentagon to run around in basement tunnels carrying lightbulbs. I wonder where it is now.

--Tom in Ohio.