<VV> Auto Trans Fluid Leak

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 8 23:10:09 EST 2012

 I recently bought a Rampside for my brother down here in SE Michigan. It was a
4 speed converted to and automatic. It had been sitting 5 years. The engine
started pretty easy but the truck wouldn't move. Oh, no trans fluid. The guy I
bought it from mentioned a previous leak that had been repaired (seal
replacement, didn't say which). He said his father had died and the truck was
never restarted. So I added fluid and let it idle a while. I then put the trans
in D.... no response.  I tried R...... after several seconds it engaged. Back to
D several seconds later it engaged. Ok, maybe I add more fluid. When I went back
to add more I noticed a nice puddle under the back of the truck. I looked
underneath and saw trans fluid in a small stream running out of the hole in the
bell housing. When I shut the engine off the stream actually got worse and
lasted for more then a couple minutes.
  I am expecting an improperly installed (if it's there at all) torque converter
hub seal. Your thoughts????? Also, would a lack of fluid cause the trans delay
to engage? I don't want to take the trans-axle out and fix the leak, reassemble
and find the shifting issue still there. Other than trying to fill the trans
with additional fluid to try again is there any tests I can do to eliminate
other causes for the shift delay? It has a 95 HP car engine. I don't know any
specifics on the trans/axle.  Thanks in advance.

Greg Shaw
Dearborn, MI