<VV> what is this part?

Mike Thomas mthomasslo at mypowerpipe.com
Tue Dec 11 00:00:00 EST 2012

They are "Mixture Control Valves".  They were used on all 66 and early 67
models with Air Injection Reactor emission control systems.  (On 66's they
were only used in California).  They are controlled by vacuum, when they
sense a rapid increase in vacuum, typically on deceleration, they open.
When opened they provide clean air from the air cleaner cross tube to the
intake manifold.  This leans an otherwise overly rich mixture to prevent
muffler explosions ("back fire")  Late 67's and all 68 - 69 Corvairs use
true diverter valves which effectively shut-off the A.I.R. during high
vacuum / deceleration conditions for the same reasons.