<VV> Brit car polarity (No Corvair)

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Tue Dec 11 11:16:54 EST 2012

On 12/11/2012 10:48 AM, charles mckinley wrote:
> The only British car I've ever owned was a '64 Midget, and it had the
> electrical system polarity reversed from our US convention, i.e.
> "positive earth". Is that still the case with British cars? It's a
> matter of no importance, I'm just curious.
> Chuck McKinley
> '63 Monza 900 80-hp 3 speed negative ground

No, Chuck, positive ground British cars ceased  with the advent of
alternators instead of generators. Of course it took British
manufacturers longer than it should have to make the switch :).

I had a ' '62 Morris Minor that were positive ground [hard to find a
radio for it in the late '60's], as were my two '66 Land Rovers. I
converted one to negative ground when I replaced the generator with an
alternator but have left the other one as a positive ground.( I can
remember stumping a mechanic who came to jump start the car for me in
the '90's as he didn't want to risk his truck's system. ). I'm pretty
certain that my '63 MGB and "63 Triumph Spitfire were also positive
ground; I know my late '70's MGB and Spitfire were both negative ground.

Land Rover made the switch with the late Series II-A models ['67 in the
US] along with the exciting single windshield wiper motor [hidden from
view] and the move from a generator to an alternator.

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
www.landroverwriter.com
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4