<VV> The price of gasoline and oil - no Corvair

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Dec 11 17:51:46 EST 2012

The spot price for reformulated gasoline is $2.60 per gallon today on
the NY Merc.  Refineries buy US and Canadian crude at the Cushing price
(West Texas Intermediate grade) which is $85.47 per barrel  and sell it
at the Brent grade (world market ) price of $107.33.  A barrel of WTI is
42 US gallons where as a barrel of Brent is 35 Imperial gallons.

Now you know why the Canadians want a pipeline directly to the Gulf Of
Mexico.  Crude oil is worth an extra $20+ per barrel if they can get it
on a tanker rather than let the American refineries buy it.   I am close
to the Cottage Grove terminal on the New Orleans to Lima, OH.  22 inch
pipeline, so gasoline is always cheap; usually about $0.50 more than the
spot price. Cottage Grove does not have a blending license so only pure
un-reformulated gasoline and ULSD is all they pull from the pipeline.
Jim Davis