<VV> Auburn auto show (some Corvair) New pic

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 17:26:53 EST 2012

Every year on Labor Day weekend, there's a big auto show/auction in

Auburn, Indiana, home of the Auburn/Cord plant (now a museum). Some of
you might be familiar with it. I was there in 1991, a couple years
before I got my Corvair, so I was not on the lookout for them. However,
there were many really outstanding cars there, pretty much all for sale.
Lots of early Corvettes and Thunderbirds, so there must have been a lot
full of Corvairs as well. I've sent an example from the high-dollar
tent, still my candidate for the single niftiest American car ever made
- an SJ Duesenberg, I think from 1932 although I might be off a year or
two. The showpiece of the auction that year was a burgundy Duesenberg
that had originally belonged to Greta Garbo. The high bid for it was 3.5
megabucks, and the current owner refused to sell it for that price, as
being below his reserve. They allow bidding by telephone, which in my
opinion is unfortunate as it allows the best stuff to be snapped up by
Asian billionaires with more money than brains (but that's another story.)

I'm halfway planning to attend in 2013 and will keep my eye out for
Corvairs. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Chuck McKinley
63 Monza 900 80-hp 3-speed