<VV> VV 67 collapsible column in a 65

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 00:28:36 EST 2012

Ned - Unless you are into "reinventing the wheel" (in this case the
steering wheel), talk to Kent Sullivan.  He has done this exact changeover.  It
involves replacing the complete pedal box of the 65-66, dash to firewall,
with the one from from the 67-69. The collapsible column collapses in two
directions, from the wheel down and from the steering-box up. The firewall is
about in the middle. If you do the conversion, there is a small wiring kit
available to adapt the column wiring of the 67-69 to the dash wiring
connectors  of the 65-66. You will need a 67-69 steering box, or the Flaming river
box.  Although if you really wanted to re-use the box, there are probably
ways to  do it. As Dave mentioned, I have a new project - which should end up
as a product, maybe by summer - a complete bolt-in "tilt wheel"  steering
column kit for the 65-66. I even have the prototype and the car for the
install. Now, if it would just stop raining!

PS -  Stan is right, the area on the 65 drivers frame-rail will  have to be
"recessed" - think hammering - to clear the stock 67-69 coupler. With  the
flaming river kit, they use a U-joint on the box and the locking set-screws
can sometimes touch the frame on the 64-66, the models with either  the
higher U-joint or the one-piece shaft.

- Seth

In a message dated 12/28/2012 5:19:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,