<VV> no messages

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 01:36:41 EST 2012

I might also mention that (aside from regular maintenance that Bryan was
doing) one of the reasons that things had to be reset was because of an
unusually large amount of Spam messages coming to the server.  In that
regard, I had noticed at least two messages to Corvanatics (on the same
server) which were sent in the past week to a LIST of participants in that
group - instead of being sent directly to Corvanatics.

Let me say that it is a BAD idea to send email to a list of recipients
(which will show to anyone reading it).  Lists of email addresses are often
cultivated by Spammers for their own (usually nefarious) purposes.  While I
don't know that the Corvanatics list of addresses was harvested by Spammers,
I do suspect that as a possible reason for the temporary interruption of
service on VV.  It might not have been noticed on Corvanatics since the
volume of messages there is considerably smaller.

Finally...  This is not really a topic to be discussed on VV since it really
has no Corvair content.  My intention here is simply to let folks know how
to help avoid possible future interruptions in the normally fine service
provided by our "webmaster" and his fine (often unrecognized) attention to
our communications - and also to alert members to the reason for NOT sending
to a list of individual email recipients.

PLEASE....   Do NOT reply on VV or FC to this message.  If you need to
comment on this message,  just send directly to me by using REPLY and don't
use Reply All.

Thanks.

Later, JR