<VV> Cynical Question on Acetone/ATF Mix

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Dec 31 21:30:26 EST 2012

I'm with Matt's reply on this. I was skeptical and tried it myself. It
is the only way to see if it works for you. I am in the rusty east and
always need to soak fasteners. It works for me. Twice as good? Probably
not. But, it does work.

Cheap?

Well, Lowes currently sells a quart of Acetone for $7.50. ATF used to be
cheap, you just need the cheapest. Now online Advance gets a quart for
$5.50. That is about $6.50 a quart. Kroil is $9.00 for 8 oz in bulk, or
$50.00 for a gallon. But, Advance sells 16 oz aerosol of PB blaster for
$5.50. Currently the 50/50 mix is cheaper for me because we used a
gallon of ATF at work for pressure testing, and they were throwing it
away (recycling) as it was too dirty to use in a transmission then. This
was a better recycling method!

The trouble as mentioned is finding a container that will withstand the
effects of acetone.

The first metal pump oil can from Harborfreight failed only on the
plastic tube to the nozzle. I will try a different hose style at some
point. I am currently using a plastic pump that IS working, so far. I do
think the acetone should eat the plastic reservoir soon. Acetone has a
nasty habit of shattering some plastic, polycarbonate is one, and this
looks to be such. Time will tell, so far just cloudy. So I do not store
the bottle where a leak could cause damage. I bought them in the local
store and cannot find them online now to give examples.

Frank DuVal