<VV> Robert Cumberford & Fitch Phoenix

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Feb 1 13:55:06 EST 2012

All:  There is a interesting cross reference between Robert Cumberford and
John Fitch.

John proposed to the SCCA a Formula C (for Corvair) as a spec class.  The
car was designed so by adding fenders, it could also be used on the street,
which was then to be called the Super Sprint.  But John's proposal was
surpassed by the corporate sponsorship of VW for the Formula V class.  John
had a car with no market.  He and Coby Whitmore, a close friend and artist
by trade, took the concept for the Formula-C/Super Sprint and reworked it
into what we know today as the Fitch Phoenix.  The Formula-C/Super Sprint
back-bone sheet metal chassis was designed by Jerry Mong of Bobsy fame.  It
used EM suspension & drive train, and has since been lost.

Robert Cumberford was the draftsman/designer from Frank Reisner's
Costruzione Automobili Intermeccanica in Italy who came to John's shop and
made drawings from the reworked car.  He them returned to Italy, where
Intermeccanica cut down a LM chassis John obtained from GM Europe and
created the Phoenix.  John intended to rework the Mong chassis to use LM
components, and the Phoenix was designed to fit it's dimensions.

As we know, the Fed's Crash Standards and uncertainty about the Corvairs
long term future killed the Phoenix.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

PS:  I do not share Bill's enthusiasm for Automobile Magazine.  Not that it
matters.  VBG!!!

Message: 1