<VV> Test for Oil transferring heat .

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 14:40:22 EST 2012

John, thanks for your support on the fact that the oil in a corvair
engine Does play a roll in removing heat from the engine. Everyone will
note that water cooled engines do not need oil coolers because the
water cooling system keeps everything in the design temp range for the
engine and oils in use. However, the air cooled engine is different.
The internals would experience over temp because the overall temp of
the air cooled engine is 125 to 150 degrees hotter in normal operation.
So an oil cooler was added to pull the heat out and keep those internal
components in there normal temp range, including the oil. Again, I
refer to my experience on air cooled aviation engines which use larger
oil coolers that are not enclosed in the tin like the Corvair so it has
a continual flow of air, and in 200 hp plus engines, you start to see
spray nozzles that spray the bottom of the cylinder bore and pistons
and rods expressly for cooling purposes. I have seen engines fail
because one of those spray nozzles plugged up. The piston end of the
rod turns blue and the piston pin seizes, then the piston wear
accelerates, not a pretty sight. Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone