<VV> Viton seals

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Sat Feb 11 10:16:51 EST 2012

Hi Bob,

6000 miles and counting on my Viton crank seal.  I only used it because I
had it.  That was the short version, here is the long.

I replaced the crankshaft in my engine and (stupidly) reinstalled the bell
housing with the old poly crank seal with less than 4000 miles on it.  The
old seal leaked from day one.  I drove the car from Lexington, KY to the CPW
in INDY last year and used 1-1.5 quarts of oil each way.  When I returned, I
pulled the engine again.  (SIGH, I'm getting good at this.)  I noticed some
pitting on the crankshaft so I decided to sleeve the crankshaft.  I had the
Viton seal so I used it rather than order another.  I know the major shop
that uses them and respect them.

I think the sleeve on the crankshaft is the trick.  I think in the future, I
will put the sleeves on all my crankshafts.  It seems like cheap insurance
to me.  You get a perfectly smooth surface for the seal to ride on and you
gain about .003" in diameter which can't hurt either.   Just my simple,
humble opinion.

Cliff Tibbitts

Lexington, KY

66 Monza 140/4speed