<VV> Viton crank seal problems

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 11:14:26 EST 2012

I have a couple thoughts on this.  I've used viton crank and damper seals religiously over the past 20 or so years in at least 4 Corvairs and don't recall any issues with them.     Could it have something to do with the initial condition of the crank and damper hubs ?  If they are worn, could this be an issue?  Could the non-viton ones be more flexible and adapt to worn hubs better?

    All i've ever done to any of them is lightly sand them with 400 grit sandpaper and check for score marks.  I then smear a dab of synthetic grease around the circumference of the seal and on the hub or shaft prior to assembly.  Also, my cars get driven year 'round.  So, could only driving your Corvair periodically have something to do with it?

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'63 ragtop  84/pg

'65 monza 4dr 110/pg