<VV> Viton crank seals

lonwall@corvairunderground.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Mon Feb 13 15:42:28 EST 2012

Thanks Carlton - Bob, we appear to be seeing 2 issues here. My original
objection to Viton "dynamic" seals had to do with wear resistance over
time. But for some odd reason there are more and more people who are
having very early failures as well.

As you know, the second issue could have multiple causes - the actual
material only being one possibility. I was never told by anyone that
Viton was a material that would not work at all in this application,
just that it would not hold up over time. The length of time? Unknown.

I have never seen one of the Viton seals close up, but it is interesting
that one person mentioned that he replaced his with a non-Viton "double
seal". As Viton is a more expensive material than others it would seem
possible that the Vitons are not correct copies of the original design
(the non-Viton are). If so, then that could cause early failures.

Manufacturing defects are possible as well, but as the Viton seals are
supposedly made by the same manufacturer as the non-Viton, and I have
never had ANY problem with them, that seems less likely as well.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com