<VV> Monza clock diode install

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Feb 13 22:49:26 EST 2012

Let's see if I can explain better.

You know there is voltage produced when a wire is passed through a
magnetic field. Voltage is also produced if the magnetic field passes
over a wire standing still. When you shut off the current to a coil of
wire, like a solenoid, ignition coil, etc, the magnetic field collapses.
This is the moving magnetic field over the still wire. So there is
voltage produced by the coil when the coil is shut off. Back emf is
another term for this voltage.

But, I digress, as you already know how the ignition coil works.

And you already know the condenser (capacitor) will help minimize the
arc of the points. This capacitor helps dissipate the back emf., as it
passes AC current and the changing current (back emf) mimics AC in its
varying waveform. It also forms a tuned circuit with the coil.

A diode will pass voltage in one direction and not the other. Oops, it
will pass current in one direction and not the other. It passes current
in the direction of the arrow. OK purists, electron flow is the other
way around, don't confuse my explanation. Conventional current flow is
in the direction of the arrow (towards the banded end of the diode).

The back emf produced by the collapsing magnetic field is the opposite
polarity of the normal operating voltage. A diode placed across the
opening switch (points) with the arrow pointing towards the positive
voltage source will not conduct under normal operating conditions. But,
it will conduct jst fine the opposite polarity voltage (back emf)
produced when the circuit is shut off.

This diode is standard design for all my DC relay circuits. It keeps the
back emf from damaging solid state drivers.  It also makes the switch
(contacts of relays, etc) last longer since there is no arc.

Frank DuVal

EE in one of my lives