<VV> Ultimate roadtrip - OT?

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 03:04:25 EST 2012

All:

This thread was prominent last summer but with the 2012 convention drawing
near I thought I would make people aware of some of the road trips
available in  New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode
Island,  Vermont).

Many possibilities exist for New England but be forewarned that Northern
New England (Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont) is a popular tourist
destination  during the summer months as are many spots in Southern New England
(Connecticut,  Massachusetts, Rhode Island).

Geographical features are the White Mountains in New Hampshire and the
Green Mountains in Vermont.  Also the Maine seacoast.

Any road trips in New England will be shorter than those found out west but
 don't be deceived.  It can take all day to travel some of  these highways.
 Some suggestions:

0) Mass/N.Y. 2 (which takes one right past Clark's Corvair) is a very
scenic road.  It starts near Albany, N.Y., crosses over the Berkshires,
traverses the northern portion of Massachusetts, and terminates at the  Boston
Common.

1) Interstate 93 north from Concord through Franconia Notch (sadly - the
Old Man of the Mountain is gone)
2) US 302 north/south through Crawford Notch
    Mt. Washington Cog R.R. nice side trip
3) NH 16 north/south through Pinkham Notch
    Mt. Washington Auto Road makes a nice side  trip
4) ME 113 (NOT NH 113) north/south through Evans Notch
5) NH 112 between Lincoln and Conway, the Kancamagus Hwy (pronounced
Kangkamangus by the locals).  32 miles of winding  mountain road.  I would test
my Corvair and driving  skill on this road.  It is windy and hilly.  When I
was 8 years old I  rode on this highway in my grandfather's '65 Corvair.
6) Around Lake Winnipesaukee near Meredith, Laconia, Sandwich, Moultonboro,
 Wolfeboro
        Many other lakes in the  south
7) VT 100 the length of the state.  Follow CT/Mass 8 north to  Vermont
8) US 1 along the Maine coast and eastern border (popular summer
destination)
        Acadia National Park nice  side trip but very popular in summer.
10) Some like the ferry ride from Portland or Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova
Scotia.  Gambling available.  Bring your passport.
11) Western Mass and northeastern CT are very scenic as is the comparable
section of eastern New York.
12) Catskills and Berkshires are not very far away
13) Great Barrington, Mass.  Norman Rockwell Museum located near here
among others.
14) Don't forget Cape Cod but be aware that it is a popular summer
destination.  Provincetown is similar to Key West, Fl.
15) Cooperstown, N.Y. not too far away.  Baseball Hall of Fame among  other
museums.
16) Ferry rides across Long Island Sound.  Two exist; Bridgeport to  Port
Jefferson, and New London to Orient Point.  Both rides take about 90  minutes
one way.  Reservations a must during the summer months.
17) Also there are many covered bridges in the region far too numerous to
list here.

Note: Trips to Martha's Vineyard and/or Nantucket might be too time
consuming.  I know that Nantucket discourages bringing your car to the  island.
If you feel you would like to go to either place I would recommend  Martha's
Vineyard but I have heard that it is almost impossible to get a summer
reservation at the last minute.  I've only been there in the late  fall.  I've
never been to Nantucket.

Just some ideas that occurred to me in addition to the side trips that will
 be offered by the convention.

If one is driving to the northeast from some other part of the country one
might want to consider the following tips.

Someone suggested US 6.  That's fine if you have some time.  US 6  is very
scenic in southern New York and northern Pennsylvania but it  is a secondary
road, subservient to I-84, in western Connecticut and is not  marked
precisely (I hesitate to say poorly).  Interstate 84 might be a  better
alternative as it takes you right to Sturbridge.

Here is another tip; to avoid the New York City metropolitan area (and the
Cross Bronx Expwy I-95 - NOT for the faint of heart) exit Interstate 80
onto Interstate 81 northbound while still in Pennsylvania.  Follow this to
the Scranton area and turn east onto Interstate 84.  Follow for almost its
entire length to Sturbridge.

Interstate 90 is also a good alternative but from Ripley, NY (NY/Pa border)
 to Sturbridge, Mass it runs almost entirely on toll roads (New York
Thruway and  Massachusetts Turnpike).

Rather more information than I had first intended but I hope it helps those
 who are not familiar with the northeast.  Automotive enthusiasts should be
 expert at automotive navigation however.

Steve Sassi
Long Island Corvair (LICA)

In a message dated 7/8/2011 12:34:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,