<VV> Trunk Stories

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Feb 15 13:54:48 EST 2012

I have two.

Back in the late 70's or early 80's a couple of us took our Corvairs to a
indoor car show in Peoria.  I entered my LM with the custom paint job and
the 140 with a turbo.  The engine lid was open.

A young person, probably in Jr Hi, looked into the engine compartment, and
with excited wonder if his voice hollered:  "Dad, Come here!  This one has
two motors!"  Dad arrived as I was explaining the situation.  Then I popped
the truck open for him.

Another LM later, while still working in Caterpillar's Product
Support/Dealer Tool Department, I had to order and then go get from the
Parts Distribution Center some needed parts for an engineer.  Got to the
gate, showed my ID, and drove to where I was to pick up the boxes.  I put
them in the passenger foot well.  I drove back to the gate, showed the guard
the paper work.  He said "I need to inspect your trunk."  He then walked to
the back of the car, and I got out and followed him.  I opened the engine
lid.  He stood there for a few seconds.  Then he said "You can go now."
Which I did, bursting out laughing well outside his hearing.

I have collected the Trunk Stories in a word.doc.  I think they are a hoot,
and with your permission, I want to massage them a little, using only first
names, and submit them to the Communique for publication.  If you have
additional trunk stories, I'd be happy for you to either send them to my
off-line or to the entire group VV for me to add to what I have.  If you
don't want your first name used, just let me know off-line.

Thanks,
	Historically Yours,
				James