<VV> Tranny in a can --

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Wed Feb 15 15:14:52 EST 2012

> What would it damage that wasn't rubber?

I think the reference would be to the fact the trans quit working
because it needed repair / overhaul -- the additive allowed it to work
to some extent, so it got driven -- driven when the normal order would
have been a rebuildable core, but in that amount of extra service,
mechanical parts were worn beyond normal limits, meaning the cost of
replacing some of the major internals exceeds the value of a rebuilt
trans + core.

Normally, one does a lot of clean-up and replaces frictions, seals,
bushings, and bands -- when you start having to replace hard parts --
drums, spragues, planetary sets, pistons, shafts -- prices can escalate,
as well as the odds of future troubles.

I certainly would have preferred to have heard that a SeaFoam product
had been used instead of Lucas -- Lucas oil additives have about the
same history of service as Lucas electricals, mo.

Bill Strickland