<VV> Dim lights at idle

James Cooper cooperj123 at msn.com
Sat Feb 18 22:55:31 EST 2012

Hello All,  We took our '65 Monza sedan out for a bit of driving after dark tonight and I noticed something I had not before.  When at a stop light at idle and especially with the PG transmission in drive, the dash lights get really dim.  I don't really notice the headlights getting dim but the dash lights sure do, almost to dark.  And then when driving away and the engine revving up the dash lights come back to normal, but not instantly.  I will  put a voltmeter on the car tomorrow and check it out but I wanted to see if this was a common thing with LM Corvairs.  I remember getting low output from the earlies with a generator.   I would expect some voltage drop at idle but I'm not sure why it is so bad at the dash lights-  because of the dimmer circuit?The battery in the car is a new one and the wiring I checked was good.  Maybe I have a weak alternator and its time for a fresh one and new regulator.  I don't know the age of what is in the car now.Jim