<VV> Full Size Sapre WAS Early Rear Bearings

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 17:26:00 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/8/2012 2:08:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lechevrier at q.com writes:

<snip.

It would
seem Smitty is quite justified to carry a spare axle, and any Corvair
owner should carry a spare tire and fan belt, although spare tires are
even falling out of vogue.these days.

With today's radial tires, some guaranteed to last 80,000 miles or more, a
full size spare is becoming somewhat of an anachronism as it really is not
needed.  If one gets a flat with a modern day tire the so-called donut will
 suffice until the tire can either be easily repaired or replaced,  usually
a short time/distance later, relatively speaking.

Unless one is using the older bias ply tires the full size spare is a
holdover from the era when tires did not have the durability they currently  hav
e.  At the dawn of the automotive era it was not uncommon to carry two  or
even three full size spare tires as flat tires were expected.  Remember
there were still a lot of nails in the road from horse drawn traffic.  I  don't
think this practice survived the 1920's as times had changed even by  then.

On the broader subject of this thread, one could carry as many spare parts
against the possibility of what could potentially fail.  It's up  to the
individual.  With the Corvair, a 50 year old car, it  is probably prudent to
carry more spare parts than one normally would  unless you know that you are
keeping the car well maintained.   The best you can do is keep your car in
good running condition and hope for the  best.  Notwithstanding that some
Corvair parts would be difficult to obtain  if they failed, for me carrying a
spare axle is overkill if I know I am going to  keep the bearings serviced.
If anyone feels the need, by all means do  it.

Steve Sassi
Long Island Corvair (LICA)