<VV> Excessively tight rocker adjusting nuts

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 17:45:47 EST 2012

_cmckinley313 at verizon.net_ (mailto:cmckinley313 at verizon.net)   writes:

I'm  wondering if I could get away with using ordinary nuts on the
rocker studs  and double-nutting each stud with a jam nut to hold the
rocker adjustment.  I haven't seen any discussion about this, and I don't
want to get into hot  water if there's a big flaw in that idea.

Chuck - The Corvair racers, and before that the small-block Chevy racers
solved this problem by using special taller nuts with internal set-screws
that  are tightened to keep the nut from moving. Set it where you want, hold
the  outer hex with a box-end wrench, and tighten the inner set-screw against
the tip  of the stud with an allen-wrench. When you are ready to loosen it -
or just  readjust it, you hold the outer hex again and loosen up the inner
set-screw and  you are good to go. The available ones will fit under a stock
valve cover,  unless you have added the aftermarket taller studs. The only
caution I should  add is that some of those nuts do not have threads all the
way down to the  contact face. The have a counter bore which limits the
amount of threads which  contact the stud. If that is all you can find, they
are usable, but you should  flip them over and put the fully threaded end
down. It makes grabbing the hex a  little tougher, but they still work fine. ARP
make the best ones, but they are  quite expensive. Com Cams makes less
expensive ones. Summit Racing sells these  for $28 - and you get four spares!

Seth Emerson

_COMP Cams 4604-16 - COMP  Cams Rocker Arm Adjusting Nuts_
(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-4604-16/)

View Image and Compare
    *    (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-4604-16/)

Rocker Arm Nuts, for Stamped Steel Rockers, 3/8  in.-24 Thread, Set of 16
Part Number: CCA-4604-16
Estimated Ship Date: Today

    *