<VV> Two helicoils in line?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 22 00:14:24 EST 2012

I commonly used two helicoils in line, as I had a source for shorter
helicoils. I can now buy longer ones...

You tap the hole for the helicoils, and this sets the threads per inch
for the helicoil. Now, when you screw in the second helicoil, it has to
be synchronized to the first, as it is in the same tapped hole.

Once you install the second helicoil, you must remove the tang, as it
will stop the bolt (stud, etc) at the shallow depth. I use a pin punch
and hammer to break off that tang. Trap the loose tang, as you do not
want it to be lost inside moving parts! Sometimes the tang is strong,
and just bends, not good, as that lifts the helicoil off the sidewall of
the hole. Best bet is to set the punch right against the tang at its
attachment to the coil.  Do not apply the force of the punch to the
loose end of the tang, mechanical advantage will help bend and not
break off the tang. Breaking off the tang in a blind hole (valve cover
bolts) is trickier, as you must use a magnet and a small diameter steel
rod to get that tang out, or turn the object and let gravity do its job.

Frank DuVal