<VV> Two helicoils in line?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Feb 22 12:54:15 EST 2012

I've always used Time-Serts but I haven't used one for a cylinder stud yet.  They are vastly superior to Heli-coils and come in various lengths.  The Keensert website says "One length per size".
They would be cheaper than a Time-Sert and maybe better in certain applications.  Time-Serts aren't good for thin wall applications because the expand to lock feature can break the surrounding material if it's too thin.  They also require special tools to install.  The advantage of them is that the threads are "Timed" internal to external so the insert doesn't have to be very thick to be strong.
http://www.timesert.com/
They have the following lengths available for 7/16-14:
.400
.600
.870
1.000