<VV> WC: Possible Source of Oil feed problem?

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Sat Feb 25 12:27:06 EST 2012

Hi James,

The 3.1 build is going well although having not done a major build for 20
years I am a bit rusty and I find myself constantly referring to the
manuals.

Only two problems so far. I was unable to get the cam/crank timing marks
perfectly aligned with the split in the crankcase. They are off by about
1/32 inch so I think the actual index punch mark is a hair off as everything
else checks out and it is way less than a tooth width. The only gotcha was a
badly broken differential snout when I split apart the existing motor. The
split washer was gone, the seal was just about destroyed and there was just
barely enough surface for the release bearing to move on! I had a spare
snout but I'm always nervous about re and re'ing a differential or anything
with gears for that matter! Getting everything set up right is as much as
black art as a science IMO! J

Other than that the heads are going on today and by the end of the day
everything should be on the motor except the sheet metal.

Regards,

Bob