<VV> Pertronix Problem

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 14:44:28 EST 2012

                                                B'H

Happy New Year to my fellow Corvairers!

I'm having problems installing my Pertronix I Ignitor in my 66 Monza 110.  When the points are intalled, the car runs fine.  However when I put in the Pertronix, the car won't start.  Here are some of the particulars:

1.  The red Pertronix wire is connected to a steady 12V source in the engine harness (not the coil).
2.  The coil is a standard coil which measures 1.1 ohms resistance between primary terminals.  This coil is a Clark's C3001 (non-GM points type).
3.  The resistor wire IS in the circuit.  Key on, engine off, I measure around 6-8 volts to the positive terminal on the coil.  Engine running, I measure 12V between the coil positive terminal and engine ground.  I am measuring voltage with a meter connected directly to the (+) on the coil and engine ground.
4.  Negative (black) pertronix wire is connected to the negative terminal of the coil.
5.  I've installed Pertronix on two other cars (one a Corvair, the other a Slant Six 72 Dart Swinger) without any problems.
6.  yes, I remembered to install the magnet sleeve and rotor firmly before putting the distributor cap back on!
7.  Sometimes I found a very slow cranking condition, other times the engine cranked faster.
8.  I also noticed that the Corvair wiring diagram shows a 20 BRN wire connected from the engine harness (next to the 10 R wire) to the negative side of the coil, but that wire doesn't even exist in my 66 wiring harness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C