<VV> Best Oil & STP

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Jan 4 20:27:36 EST 2012

An Internet search shows the the concentration of Zinc in STP (blue
bottle) is 165 ppm and phosphorous  225 ppm as of a 2009 independent
test.  STP is a viscosity index improver.   It makes oil thicker at all
temperatures until it breaks-down.  Deterioration starts at about 270 F.
   One thing that is never discussed, is the amount of calcium in the
base stock oil.  Calcium is an antagonist to phosphorous and as such
defeats much of the good phosporous does.  Calcium is a main ingredient
in oil detergents.  If an oil is high detergent, it requires more ZDDP
to counteract the detergent qualities.  Too much ZDDP can actually
increase the wear in an engine.  No engine oil manufacture am familiar
with had approved any additive to their oil.

By the way, the screwdriver trick works with castor oil, also but I
wouldn't add it to my oil either.
Jim Davis