<VV> STP and the Scerwdriver

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 13:32:23 EST 2012

JR, the Mobil 1 10w30 has a 10.7 cSt  (10.7 mm2/sec) at 100C
which is right in the middle of the range Richard Widman calls out in his
oil article, I think he says 9.3 to 13 something.
 The Mobil 1 10w40, has a c 14.7 cSt  (14.7 mm²/sec) at 100C, which is
slightly above the range Wichard Widman calls out, but the viscosity lowers
as the oil gets older so, I think the 10w40 would be a better choice.

The 15w50 oil is at 18, way above the range.Technically, you could be doing
damage at startup, however, we have folks who say they have used the 15w50
all an engines life and have 200K miles or more on their unoverhauled
engines. So, whether the full synthetic makes up for the higher csT ratings
in viscosity, by being extra slippery and maintains that boundry layer in
the bearings, who knows. Its your best guess. But it seems to work.

I know that I used to run my engines on 10w40 dino oil for years with no
issues, with regular changes at 3-5K miles.

Mark Durham