<VV> Early Rear Bearings

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Jan 7 23:39:00 EST 2012

> Smitty, how many miles per bearing are you averaging? I guess I would
> ask per used/greased bearing and new/greased bearing.    Frank
-----------------------------------
Smitty says;  I don't know about miles Frank.  Every time I left home my
bearings (usually new) had been flushed and packed with fresh Hi temp
bearing grease.  I averaged about 1 bearing a year when I was on the road a
lot.
            JVH You may not see it as necessary to carry a spare axle ready
to use but your butt wasn't in the drivers seat in mid South Dakota or the
middle of the California National forest at 2 in the morning or driving
through New Mexico near Flag Staff  when one failed.  I have, and I think
traveling without a backup is asinine.  It's not something you would get at
your nearby FLAPS or even the local junkyard.  I have had them go terminal
within ten miles of when I first heard them and start sliding on the axle.
If I had a 64 Corvair right off the show room floor and intended to go on a
12,000 mile trip, I'd have a spare with me.