<VV> The " Fix it on the road" list of tricks

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 12:59:33 EST 2012

 1. It's big.
2. It's a large chunk of dead weight.
3. An axle with a new bearing is better used in the installed position.
4. It's a piece you don't have to carry as inventory.
5. An axle with a new bearing installed will last a VERY long time, and becomes something you don't worry about.
6. If you are worried about it, replace the rear wheel bearings every 10 years/50,000 miles, and again, becomes something you'll NEVER have to worry about!

I have driven my Corvair 1600 miles in one trip. All I carried were basic tools, a fanbelt, and I kept my total spares to under 15 pounds, and only then these were things I either couldn't get at FLAPS, or things I knew weren't reliable. Like rocker arms and pushrods, since I couldn't afford the fancy roller versions.  After all, I was a broke kid back then! But wheel bearings? If I had new ones, I installed them! That way, I could replace them at my convenience, not the wheel bearings' convenience!

John Roberts