<VV> "Green" brand early wheel bearings

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 19:24:06 EST 2012

Kevin, those are the Green brand that did not swivel. They were offered
as a lower cost option when NOS was getting scarce. That's what I put in
my Spyder with dire results. Hence my "don't fix what ain't broke"
philosophy that fits right in with cheap Corvair owners! But even being
cheap requires maintenance to keep things working, like your rebuilt
bearings will last a long time if the rollers were not already brinelled
and the races not pitted, and you keep greasing them on a regular basis.
I would use the front wheel bearing maintenance schedule.

Of course "once burned twice shy" is why I am waiting for other people
to report how well Clark's new wheel bearings are working for them. I'm
sure Cal does not want a repeat of the "Green" bearing fiasco, but I'll
not be the first to try them! Anyone have a report?

Frank DuVal