<VV> Making necessary repairs.

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 19:56:53 EST 2012

Although I still feel like a relative "newbie" here, having never taken part in any kind of CORSA or local chapter event, or driving my '64 Monza more than 30 miles at any one time in the almost 4 years that I've owned it, I feel obliged to comment on this thread. When I decided to "resto-mod" my purchase, that included not just the rusted body parts, but all other "degradable" parts, too, wherever/whatever they were. As I've read other posts on this forum I've often been apalled at the "cheap"ness of many Corvair enthusiasts. I've replaced every conceivable part on my car, from brakes to suspension to fuel (sender unit and all) to rear bearings, etc. etc. If you doubt me, call Clark's and ask them!

My point is that if I'm going to do something like this, I'd never do it half-a$$ed! That negates the whole concept of restoring something, to my mind. Am I in my right mind? No, probably not! I'll have ten tmes as much invested in this car than I'll ever recover; but I knew that going in and still decided it was something I wanted to do. Do I expect everybody else to be such a purist? Certainly not, but to boast about how cheaply you've done something also doesn't seem right to me.

That's my two cents. Now I'll go back to lurking again.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert
Gainesville, FL