<VV> Oil Cooler

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Jan 10 16:15:35 EST 2012

Smitty Says;  When I was at Putnam Park last year, after 20 laps or so the overheat light came on.  Over the next 3 or 4 hours or so I jumped through all the wickets trying to figure out why.  That was (near as I can remember) his 8th year on the track and had never done that before.  By being very conservative we were able to squeeze out some hot laps even though losing power on the second lap.  I brought him home and ran some tests and checked some things out, but could never establish a reason.  Last week end I got one of them round tuits and pulled the shroud and manifold covers.  I found several places with stopped up fins. but right over the area where the snap switch was located, one of those mud dauber guys had built a nest covering an area about 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches, completely blocking the fins in that area.  Maybe there are other problems and I will keep looking.
While I was at it I checked out the folded fin oil cooler.  Couldn't see through it.  Cut a strip of tin about 3/16 wide and rounded and polished the end of it.  After an hour I had cleared about an inch of fins.  Very unrewarding.  Checked the parts stash and found one I could read a newspaper through if I wished.  I'll be putting that one on tomorrow.  I don't understand but I don't question reality.  The one on the car was as clear as a new one when I put it on there.  You might want to go a little farther than just blowing air at yours next time you check it out.