<VV> Cleaning parts

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Jan 11 11:25:26 EST 2012

> From: "Steven J. Serenska" <corvair at serenska.com>
>
> What is everyone's experience with different brands of Carb Cleaners /
> Gunk Removers?  I need to remove gunk from a large number of metal parts
> for a non-Corvair application, and I have to think that a good carb
> cleaner will do the trick.
Smitty Says;  Steve most of all I have found that the new environmentally
kind emulsion cleaners are as useless as a product can get.  First choice
for me would be the carb cleaner if cost was no consideration because
generally speaking there is no brush work needed to loosen the crud.  Second
would be good old fashioned Gunk Engine Bright.  Still may be expensive if
you are doing a big bunch.  Third would be the cheap stinky oven cleaner
from the Dollar store which would be best for carbonized greasy parts like
heads.  All three of these are water washable, and for gosh sake put on your
face shield when you are washing the cleaner off the parts.