<VV> 4x1 4 carb engines

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:24:05 EST 2012

Jim, thanks for the information. I'm sure you have read Craig Nicol's
articles on his 140 hp EFI? He did add a fuel injector at each intake, and
a throttle body to replace the single carb, all off a Pontiac Fiero, and
the system worked great.

It is good to note that the carbs supply sufficient air for the engine,
well, at least the four do. That tells me that there is no need for me to
bore out the venturi in the carbs, to increase airflow. I fully agree on
the location of the fuel injectors. In the intake manifolds would be best,
but that means a head modification I do not want to do. My thought process
is to add the fuel in just about the same location as in the carb, just
above the throttle plate,

My concern is that in a progressive linkage setup, the secondary carbs are
shut off completely, so there should be no fuel being sprayed in there
either. Hence, my question on a setup where all four carbs run, even at
idle. If a stable appropriate idle speed can be had by reducing how much
each throttle body flows so they are all the same, then my plan to add the
extra carbs as throttle bodies and install a fuel injector in each, would
work. However, if it is not possible to get a good idle speed with for
operating throttle bodies, then I will have to find a different solution. I
know I could weld the fuel injector bosses to the manifold. that would
solve the problem..

Regards  Mark Durham