<VV> CORSA Chapters was/Need Help Understanding This

tim mahler flat6vair2 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 20:02:25 EST 2012

A group of people sit around a camp fire,  A whispers to B, I like cake.  B
tells C, C tells D by the time it gets back to A, Jake is in love with
hiking.

Congratulations to Maine -- Dirigo Corvairs was allowed become a CORSA
chapter because the chapter plan rules were changed in a way to permit it --
by allowing a CORSA membership count LESS then 10 for a large region such as
Maine.  note key words: change, 10 members, chapter.

Does dropping chapters help CORSA and Corvairs ?  no.
Does dropping chapter "names" from the list of chapters because the chapter
is inactive/defunct , at least appears to be inactive/defunct  help?  YES,
because an inactive chapter, if still listed as a chapter -- leads new
members to a void and they walk away from both the national and local clubs,
and maybe Corvairs.  Local is defunct, national must be too, may corvairs is
a bad marque to try.....Really, it is a disservice to the prospective member
which is worse than anything.  We are here to help each other, not lead each
other astray.

additional comments

Non Member benefit and insurance fee - the $3.  A compromise between a flat
chapter fee, requiring 100% membership and simply acccessing the non
members, via the chapter, a fee that covers the expenses that ALL members of
the chapter receives including but not limited to liability insurance.
nothing to do with the above -- beyond being a change and reactiviating the
chapter report filings.

Dropping Chapters --  Section IV second paragraph, last sentence of the
chapter plan -- "as reported on their annual Chapter Report."  The report is
nothing more than a roster, chapter officers, name of newsletter, web site,
and CORSA Contact person.  Nice to know WHO to talk to when conversing with
a chapter. Been done, to my knowledge, since the 90s.
Comments from CORSA board that I have heard have been IF the chapter doesn't
file a report, or at least attempt to file a report, the chapter must be
inactive, so we, CORSA, might as well drop them from the listing.   THAT IS:
IF CORSA doesn't hear from someone, then the chapter must have 0 active
members. (note that hte 4th paragraph starts with "shall be active
organizations" )  Response rate for emails and letters have been spotted.
Emails and Communique notification especially so. Board Member Frank Regal
reported a good response to his letters sent via USPS.  Time will tell how
many chapters actually file an annual report. It is really the only way to
verify items 1 (newsletters published) or 2.  meetings held.  Back to A --
if a local chapter is defunct, and CORSA keeps listing it, CORSA looks bad
but worse, we did a disservice to the member/prospective member in locating
a chapter near her/him.

Tim Mahler
former board member