<VV> Front suspension WAS Making necessary repairs.

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Jan 13 00:37:37 EST 2012

At 08:23 AM 1/10/2012, Ken Pepke wrote:

>You have so much experience with it the way it is, it will be
>interesting to hear how the 64 suspension affects the way your '60
>drives with the upgrade.

It's going to be a learning experience.  The '60's front suspension
is all original with a quarter-million miles on it.  It's beginning
to get a bit loose... I'd wager that its hardened bushings would
likely attract a 2nd look during a valid VA Safety
Inspection.   Interestingly enough, its idler arm and ball joints are
still pretty good.   And the idler arm appears to be original.  At
least I never changed it out and I've owned it longer than all other
owners combined.

I sometimes wonder if the guys who assembled the first Corvairs ever
had a fleeting thought of one of them somehow managing to last over a
half-century and still be on the road unrestored.    I WOULD wager
that it's one of the very few if not the only one that's still in
such use... looking the way it does... still registered and insured
and driven regularly.

...not that this is anything even remotely resembling a badge of
distinction.   In fact, I have been told that a person who would
drive something that looks like that must either have no shame or is
a sociopath.

tony..