<VV> 140 with a single 4 bbl. - 390 NOT

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Mon Jan 16 00:42:57 EST 2012

If y'all want to hear somebody sing the praises of the Holley 390 on a
Corvair, this post is not for you.

The theory is good that the 390 matches theoretical flow requirements of
the Corvair engine, and it should work, if it wasn't installed on that
center mount manifold --it would be nice if it worked "well" mounted
somewhat "remotely", but it doesn't -- stock is better.

Seth makes some good points -- the 500 Edelbrock seems to be a dead on
replica of the smaller AFB, except for the chrome.  There is a reason
that Edelbrock sells so many AFB's at pretty good prices, and it isn't
just because they are chromed.

1) They work well under a wide variety of circumstances, from rotary
Mazdas to dual quads on a 427 small block (a real "trick" motor).
2) They are easy to make adjustments on -- buy the 'track kit' or
whatever they call it, a whole assortment of easily changed secondary
metering rods and misc.  Stay away from the current crop of fancy billet
electric fuel pumps.
3) No fuel loss to make these metering rod changes, ie, no pesky gaskets
to change and/or leak on fancy manifolds or engine paint
4) They are not fuel injection, for folks that just want a car without
computers that you can trouble shoot, say in the middle of Kansas by the
side of the freeway.
5) Like Corvairs, AFB's used to be in the junk yards, available just for
the taking and pocket change -- sure wish I'd taken more.
6) It is easy to get an AFB to run well on a Corvair.  Bolt it on. Buy
an adapter, if needed.

Now, for that other thing.  I've run, repaired, and adapted nearly every
Holley out there at the time to run on an old Corsa I used to own (my
Kid Car) -- my best luck was with a "750 double pumper" -- tricked up
metering blocks, 50 cc pumps (two), electric choke, mechanical
secondaries, and about a year of tinkering with it, back when I had time
and energy for such stuff.  Lousy fuel mileage by the way, but good
enough for the seventies, and it ran sweet!  No multi-carbs and linkage
to keep synched, either.  The stuff one needs to do to a Holley to get
it to run on a Corvair can't be done on the 390, but can be done on the
big 'hi-pro' models -- yes, a 100 cc shot of fuel is excessive, but on a
center mount, it is needed.  Did I mention that this is for driving like
you just robbed the bank -- also needs a thermostatic air cleaner with
hot air supply (gee, I wonder where that might come from).

And that was what I did before I discovered the AFB -- a well designed
carb for just "using". Vic & sons didn't just buy them up out of
generosity, folks.

Those of you that want to convince me otherwise, just save your keyboard
-- I'm too stubborn to change or be convinced otherwise after already
convincing myself that I'm right.  Is my curmudgeon showing?  I haven't
had time to get to injecting a Vair, yet -- maybe, someday ...

mo,

Bill Strickland