<VV> starting problems - click-click

jeandelucca at aol.com jeandelucca at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 16:05:47 EST 2012

my 63 monza 102/pg has a starting problem that has my mechanic and i stumped a bit. what used to occur once every few months is now occurring more regularly: when turning the key, just a "click-click". turn the key back and forth a few times and it will start. the battery is strong. we pulled the starter and checked it and replaced the solenoid. reassembled everything and the problem returned. we eliminated the ignition switch and neutral safety switch by jumping various things(his tests). we now want to go back and recheck the solenoid. i'd be interested to hear some responses to a solution, i hope i have provided enough info, i should mention that it has been getting colder here in the northeast, if that matters.  thanks, jim