<VV> LM thermostat assy modification

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 19 16:02:01 EST 2012

 After struggling with reassembling the lower shroud and bellows attachments, it
finally dawned on me, a relatively easy way to do it.

A It was almost impossible to attach the swivel/rod to the door after the lower
shroud with the bellows was attached to the engine.

B Likewise it wasn't easy to attach the swivel/rod to the door first and then
try to get the bellows attached to the lower shroud.

 My solution: cut a minimum amount of material off the thermostat bracket. This
way the control rod/swivel can be attached to the door with little trouble with
the shroud and bellows out of the way. The bellows is then attached to the
control rod, and the bellows slipped into the modified bracket and secured with
the nut.

(the hanging lower shroud can be temporally moved an inch or so toward the door
to reduce any tension on the bellows. The nut is then put on the threaded end of
the bellows which should stick out of the bracket enough)

 I found the after tightening the nut to the bellows, it was easy enough to push
the lower shroud to the front and just pop it up to a good tight fit.

 Advantage is when the shroud is pushed up into position, the door  can be
checked for proper operation. If too tight/loose, just lower the  shroud, loosen
the nut, turn the bellows, adjust the control rod and re tighten the nut.

 Check proper operation and install the attaching hardware.

 MIKE KOVACS